Soft, fluffy, and full of spices, these vegan banana muffins are a great snack whether you’re at home or on-the-go. And they can easily be made gluten-free!
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 4 tablespoons warm water (replace with 2 eggs if vegetarian)
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat pastry flour (or gluten-free 1:1 flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅔ cup almond or oat milk, unsweetened vanilla
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
- ⅓ cup olive, coconut, or avocado oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana, about 2 medium bananas
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, combine the flaxseed and warm water and set aside to thicken for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour through salt).
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla and stir to combine. Stir in the flaxseed mixture (or eggs, uf using).
- Add the wet and dry ingredients together and stir just until combined but do not overmix. Fold in the mashed banana and chocolate chips, if using. Divide the batter into the muffin tins.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack cool completely.